Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Out With the Lawn in With the Veggies: Part Two

What to Plant?
Plant what you like to eat! Although this seems pretty obvious, I have often been too greedy at the nursery or seed rack and bought eggplant, hot peppers, and squashes that no one in my family will eat! Now I restrict myself to things I know we like with one or two new things just for fun.

Good Choices To Plant In July:
Warm season plants such as tomatoes, peppers, squash, green beans, melons and pumpkins are good choices, but best to plant from six pack or four inch pots. Plants from seeds may not have time to reach full production before the weather cools in fall.

Planting Tips:
Because July's days are often hot, plant new plants in the evening when they will not be immediately stressed by the heat of the day. Or use a beach umbrella to shade plants for a day or two. Mix an organic, balanced fertilizer into the soil when planting and water thoroughly. Regular irrigation is especially important during hot weather. I like to use soaker hoses on a timer. Soaker hoses are inexpensive, easy to move as you change out plants, and deliver water in a slow manner that wets the soil thoroughly. Battery operated timers are simple to setup, and crucial for me as I always seem to forget when I last watered!

No comments:

Post a Comment